TamilsKitchen

September 12, 2012

Kovakkai poriyal / Tindora fry / Ivy gourd fry

Kovakkai fry is a yummy simple fry that tastes great with  for sambar/rasam rice.I love this vegetable .This is not a familiar veg to me,as i never seen this veg in my home town.After marriage when we stayed at Bangalore I come over this veggie and liked the taste.Here in Leeds this is one of the veg that is available all time.So I used to do this very frequently and also my kid likes it too much.Besides kovakkai has lots of medicinal values too ,its rich in minerals,protein and fibre and good for diabetics.And here comes the recipe….Try it and see…and let me know your outcome

 

100_2035

 

Ingredients

 

Kovakkai -  1/2 kg

Turmeric powder / Manjal thool – 1/2 tsp

Chilli powder / Milagai thool – 1 tsp

Coriander powder/ Kothamalli thool – 1 tsp

Coconut – grated 2 tsp

Mustard seeds / Kadugu – 1/2  tsp

Uraddal / Ulunthamparuppu – 1/2 tsp

Curry leaves – 1 spring

Asafoetida / Perungaya thool – a pinch

salt to taste

oil – 2 tbsp

 

Preparation

 

Wash the tindora and trim the edge.Cut  the veggie in to thin slices.

 

100_2021

 

Heat oil in a kadai  and splutter mustard seeds and  urad dal .Add the curry leaves and asafoetida and fry for few seconds.Add the veggie and saute them well for few mins.

 

100_2022 100_2024

 

Then add the dry powders and salt and mix them .

 

100_2025 100_2027

 

Cook the veggie in medium heat till it turn soft and shrinks in size and changes colour.Stir in between to avoid burning.

 

100_2028

 

Now add the grated coconut and mix.And fry for few mins and switch off.

 

100_2029 100_2030

 

Serve this fry as a side dish for sambar rice or any variety rice.

100_2035

21 comments:

divyagcp said...

Simple and delicious stir fry..

Divya's Culinary Journey

Unknown said...

I have had this only over the last decade I want to say and it is certainly been a cultivated taste - but I love it now - you subzi looks really healthy and delicious

Manjusfoodbites said...

Looking delicious dear.
manjusfoodbites.blogspot.com

virunthu unna vaanga said...

oh yummy tamil... today in my home too kovakai fry but my mom prepared in different way...
VIRUNTHU UNNA VAANGA

Ramya said...

Wow u managed to slice it soo thinly:-) Even i love this veggie

Beena said...

Yummy and delicious

Sahasra Recipes said...

Lovely fry.

AparnaRajeshkumar said...

i make this to mix with my rice :) its my fav veggie

Priya Suresh said...

Love this simple n delicious poriyal simply with curd rice.

Reva said...

My favourite veggie.. I love this anytime. The only thing is I slice them into rounds which takes a long time..
Reva

Shama Nagarajan said...

Super likes for this Veggie...Join me in Know your Flours-Corn Flour , Fast Food - Pasta event , Know you natural Sweetness - Honey events in my blog.

Santosh Bangar said...

simple healthy stire

Roshni said...

i really love kovakka.. you have made it well

Divya A said...

Lovely stir-fry with good flavors :) Nice one dear :)
Today's Recipe ~ Chicken Cigars
You Too Can Cook Indian Food Recipes

Suryaprabha said...

It's been so long i had this fry... Looking healthy and yummy!!

http://aromaticdining.blogspot.com/

Shobha said...

This is a vegetable I miss a lot...we don't find it in Brazil..

Sanoli Ghosh said...

Very flavorful tindora stir fry. Looks inviting.

Today's recipe:
http://sanolisrecipies.blogspot.com/2012/09/chanchra-malabar-spinach-with-hilsa.html

Rashida Shaikh said...

Thanks for visiting and leaving lovely comments to my blog, following you back.

Jayanthy Kumaran said...

this is absolutely adorable..nice try
Tasty Appetite

Unknown said...

havent made this in a while since my hubby doesnt like this sabji, But you are tempting me to make this

♥ Blog - http://shwetainthekitchen.blogspot.com/
♥ Facebook Page - https://www.facebook.com/ShwetaintheKitchen

Home Cooked food said...

This is my favorite vegetable.
http://realhomecookedfood.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...