Sweet potatoes have lots of nutrients that makes it a wonderful choice of food for your baby. They are a good source of beta carotene as well as potassium and has a good amount of Vitamin E, calcium and folate and are high in Vitamin A . You can view the health benefits of sweet potato here.
In this puree I used only sweet potato. And you all know this itself is sweet in nature. Sometimes I used to add few banana pieces / half steamed apple or steamed carrot to make it more yummy. You can try the above combinations for your babies to make them enjoy different tastes. Now lets go to the recipe.
Sweet Potato – 1
Formula Milk – as required
Wash the sweet potato nicely with lots of water.
Take a pressure cooker . Add the sweet potato with some water (always add little water , that is to cover half of the potato ) and pressure cook for 5-6 whistles ( or till done ).
Let the pressure releases by itself. And peel the skin of the potato .
Chop it and add it to a clean blender. Puree it using some formula milk to a smooth consistency. Transfer it to a feeding bowl.
Add some more formula milk if required to alter it to desired texture and feed your little one.
* You can follow the same method for making normal potato puree. And you can also mix up few banana pieces / steamed apple / steamed carrots with the potato and puree it to make it even more tastier.
- You could also steam cook the sweet potato (will take 20 mins app).
- Don’t peel the skin before cooking . It will help loss of nutrients while cooking.
- Don’t add too much water while pressure cooking the potatoes, just 1/2 cup is enough. And also don’t overcook the potatoes .
- Always choose firm potatoes with no decayed edges or any cuts.
- Make the puree to a smooth consistency that suits your baby. The texture of the puree purely depends up on you.
- Don’t force your baby to finish it up the entire bowl. Let them decide how much they want.
- Although occasionally a baby may show sensitivity to sweet potatoes like they might have skin rash or gas or indigestion. In case stop giving them or talk to your doctor.
Check Out Other Baby Recipes :