This is a super healthy and delicious side for those who loves bitter gourd. First time when I heard the name of this recipe from my mom , it sounded different as I never used coconut masala in bittergourd fry. But really this pairs wonderfully with rice items like sambar/rasam/curd rice. As you all know this veggie is loaded with vitamins , minerals and anti oxidants and is so good for diabetes . We enjoyed this dish thoroughly . Try this Masala Bittergourd Fry and let me know how it turned out for you.
Bitter gourd – 2 , sliced thinly
Turmeric powder / Manjal thool – 1/4 tsp
Onion – 1 tbsp , chopped
Oil – 2 tbsp
Salt to taste
Coconut – 1 & 1/2 tbsp , grated
Fennel seeds / Sombu - 1 tsp
Garlic pod – 1 big sized 0r 2-3 small sized
Dry red chillies – 4
Mustard seeds / Kadugu – 1/2 tsp
Urad dal / Uluntham paruppu – 1/2 tsp
Fennel seeds / Sombu – 1/2 tsp
Take the needed items ready to grind .
Transfer it to a blender and Grind to a coarse paste.
Slice bitter gourd thinly (remove the seeds or let it be if you like ). Grab the needed ingredients.
Heat a tbsp oil in a kadai and add the sliced bittergourd and sauté them for 8-10 mins or till slight colour change ( take care not to burn the veggies ). And transfer the veggies to a plate and set it aside.
Now in the same kadai heat another tbsp oil and add the tempering agents and wait till mustard seeds splutter.
Add in chopped onion and fry for a min.
Add the grounded masala and fry for another 2 mins.
Now throw in the sauted veggies and make it nicely coat with the masala.
Add turmeric powder and required salt and mix well.
Pour in 1/2 cup water and allow the veggies to cook till tender( will take 5-8 mins) and fry till there is no moisture and switch off the flame .
Now serve this delicious side with sambar rice / rasam rise / curd rice.
- Slice the veggies and wash it well and immerse them in salt water for 10 mins . This will reduce the bitterness .
- Grind the masala to a coarse paste (not a fine paste).
- If you like your fry to be a bit more spicy then add chilli powder . The red chillies added give enough spiciness to the fry , so add chilli powder as per your taste.
- Try to slice the veggies evenly.
- Frying them initially makes them cook faster and reduces the bitterness too.
- You can try the similar method with vegetables like brinjal or cauliflower or drumstick or with potatoes too .
Related Recipes :